Solid Waste

Backdoor Pickup — Household Garbage and Recycling

Backdoor pickup for garbage and recycling is based on your election district as follows:

  • District 1 – Monday
  • District 2 – Tuesday
  • District 3 – Wednesday
  • District 4 – Thursday
  • District 5 – Friday

“Backdoor” refers to any location adjacent to the garage or within six feet of your house.  Keep the location consistent to ensure pickup.  There is one pickup per week for both garbage and recyclables.  Pick-up begins at 7:30 a.m. and occurs daily with the exception of Christmas Day when it will be picked up the following day.

HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE: Garbage must be contained in green “Mountain Lakes” Bags are sold in packets of 10.  The current price is $25 for 30-gallon size and $12.50 for 15-gallon size, and and can be purchased at:

  • Borough Hall
  • Mountain Lakes Market
  • Anchor Hardware on Route 46

The filled garbage bags must be placed in a suitable container so that animals are not able to get into the trash.  Bags must be tied at the top to prevent overfill and must weigh less than 50 pounds.  Untied and/or overfilled bags will not be picked up.

RECYCLING: The law requires all waste generators in Morris County to separate recyclables from trash.  The following recyclable materials are picked up at your home:

  • Bottles and cans — Glass bottles and jars, aluminum and steel (tin) cans, plastic bottles #1 and #2.
  • Mixed paper — newspaper, corrugated cardboard (including chipboard), office paper, magazines and junk mail.

How to Prepare Recyclables for Collection or Drop Off.

Recyclables Accepted at the Borough Recycling Center

There are designated drop off areas at the Borough Garage for various recyclables.  The facility is open to Borough residents Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm and Saturday 7:00 am to 1:00 pm.  Extended hours are in effect during October and November on Saturdays and Sundays.  Compost and mulch, if available, may be picked up during these same hours.  Home delivery of mulch and wood chips is available through the Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority (MCMUA). Those recyclable materials picked up at your home may also be brought to the Recycling Center:

  • Bottles and Cans — One dumpster is provided for bottles and cans.  Aluminum and steel cans (no foil or pie plates), glass bottles and jars (no drinking glass, plate glass, light bulbs or ceramics), and plastic bottles #1 and #2 (no hard plastic bottle caps, buckets or plant containers, toys or plastic bags/wrap.)  Remove all items from containers used for transport. — NO PAPER OR PLASTIC BAGS IN THIS DUMPSTER.
  • Mixed Paper — One dumpster is provided for mixed paper.  Corrugated cardboard, chip board, newspapers, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, office paper, brown paper bags and soft covered books (remove any hard covers to the trash) are accepted.  DO NOT PUT ANY PLASTIC BAGS OR NON-PAPER CONTAINERS IN THIS DUMPSTER.
  • Leaves — Deposit leaves in the area marked “Leaves Only”.
  • Mixed brush — Deposit brush in the area marked “Brush.”
  • Motor Oil and Anti-Freeze — Dispose of used motor oil and anti-freeze in designated containers.
  • Batteries — Alkaline and carbon zinc non-rechargeable batteries (AAA, AA, C, D & 9V) manufactured after 1994 contain only trace amounts of mercury and should be thrown out in the trash.  Dispose of lead-acid batteries (automotive) in the shed area marked “Batteries.” Rechargeable batteries (and cell phones) are collected for recycling in the designated box in the DPW office.
  • Tires — Whole tires may be left in the “tire” shed.
  • Clothing — Leave gently used clothing in the designated bins.  Any donations left outside the bins will be thrown away.
  • Grass Clippings — Grass clippings are not accepted at this facility.
  • Scrap Metal — The Recycling Center at the DPW has recently added a dumpster for scrap metal recycling.  This dumpster is to be used for appliances and any hard metals (steel and aluminum). Hard metals should not be included with the co-mingled bottles and cans. Electronics are not accepted.


Other Recyclables

Source separation is mandated by law under the New Jersey Source Separation and Recycling Act (N.J.S.A.  13:1E-99 et.  seq.).  The state DEP provides funds to municipalities in the form of a grant based on the tons of materials recycled during the calendar year.  Qualifying recyclable materials include heavy and light iron, aluminum scrap, automobile and truck body scrap, consumer electronics (see Household Hazardous Waste), concrete, asphalt (including roofing shingles), brick, cinder block, food waste, florescent bulbs, non-container glass (plate, drinking), LDPE low-density plastics (grocery bags, newspaper bags), oil-contaminated soil, textiles and wood scraps.  See Other Recyclables for ways to recycle some of these products.  Call Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority (MCMUA) at 973-285-8393 with any questions. 

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Petroleum-based products, chemicals and many cleaning supplies need to be stored in a safe place away from children, and properly disposed of at a certified hazardous waste collection site.

  • Consumer Electronics (E-Waste) — The NJDEP has banned disposal of televisions, computers, monitors and laptops.  Effective January 1, 2011, these items must be recycled.  These items as well as all other E-Waste are accepted at Trash Day.
  • MCMUA Sponsored Disposal Days — The MCMUA sponsors several Hazardous Waste and Computer/TV disposal days. 
  • Permanent HHW Facility — Morris County operates a permanent Household Hazardous Waste Facility, available by appointment only by calling 973-829-8006.

Bulky Trash

  • Trash Days — There are two scheduled bulky trash day programs each year, Friday and Saturday at the end of April and October, for residents of Mountain Lakes.  Bulky trash that is not normally picked up can be taken to the Borough Garage on those days.  Hazardous waste other than E-Waste is prohibited.
    • There is a charge per vehicle.  Cash and checks are accepted.
    • The dates and fees are published on the Borough website and in “mybulletinonline”.  For more information, call the Department of Public Works at 973-334-1577.
  • County Transfer Station — Bulky trash can be taken to the Edwards Road Transfer Station in Parsippany.  See the Transfer Station Website for more information.
  • How to Prepare Recyclables for Collection or Drop 0ff
  • Other Recyclables
  • Grass Clippings
  • Backyard Composting