The Historic District contains 1,182 buildings, 43 sites, and 406 structures. Its boundaries encompass the original area Hapgood envisioned as his planned suburb: roughly bounded by Pocono Road to the west, the border between Denville and Mountain Lakes in the Tourne to the North, Rock Lane and Powerville Road to the east, and the railroad right of way to the south. The total area is 1,397 acres. The district is bisected by the Boulevard and contains all of the lakes in the Borough.
Sites of significant historical interest, as determined by the Landmarks Preservation Committee, are:
- Grimes Farm and House (1733). House and outbuildings stood on this site until 1979 when the house was moved to 4 Craven Road. This wood frame house was originally a one-room dwelling. An addition contains a concealed closet believed to have been used as a hiding place for fleeing slaves and a link in the “Underground Railway”. The Grimes house was listed on the State Register in 1976 and the National Register in 1977.Rame-Hart*. This structure was formerly part of the Grimes homestead. It has been converted for industrial use.
- Righter House (1732). Now the oldest house in town, it was once a popular tavern and inn on the road between Parsippany and Rockaway. The house is said to be haunted by the ghost of Sarah Ann who died at the foot of the stairs on her way to church.
- Oglesby House* (1778). A wooden Dutch farmhouse, it was built in two sections by Elizabeth & John Stagg. Four generations of Romines have inhabited the house.
- McNeill House* (1803). Originally built as a saltbox in the old town of Boonton, it was moved to this site in 1900 just before the construction and flooding of the Jersey City Reservoir.
- Pendleton-Latzer House*. An early 1800’s clapboard structure with several structural additions, it is now used for offices.
- Walker House* (1813). The original section of this house was built by Jasper Romine. This home has undergone several alterations and renovations.
- Lebo House* (1833). This elegant colonial home was designed by an architect and built by E.H. Ball. Mr. Ball ran a prosperous livestock farm.
- Shulte House* (1875). Originally built as a clapboard structure for the Ball family in the late 1700’s, the main portion of the house is a Victorian addition constructed in 1875.
- Brackin House* (1905). This frame house was built by W.H. Grimes & Sons of Parsippany. It has been owned by the Brackin family since 1918.
- Ferris House* (1911). This was the first house built here by the developer, Herbert Hapgood. It was occupied by the family of L. Luellen, originator of the Lily Paper Cup.
- Mountain Lakes Railroad Station (1912). The first train stopped here in November 1912. For many years the railroad was the principal means of commuting for most of the Borough’s wage earners. The structure now houses a popular restaurant known as “The Station,” and is listed on the Morris County Inventory of Historical sites.
- Community Church (1914). First known as the Mountain Lakes Church, the cornerstone was laid in 1914 and the church was the first public building built. Previously, church services were held in the garage of the Luellen’s at 46 Dartmouth. The church bell originally doubled as the fire bell.
- Lake Drive School (1914). This was the first official public school. Previously, elementary students attended classes at The School of Individualized Learning located at a home on 8 Larchdell Way, or temporarily at a store on Midvale Road. Originally a four-room building of fieldstone, it housed Grades K – 9 and high school students attended school in Morristown or Boonton. An addition was built in 1921.
- Mountain Lakes Club (1914). Built for the then princely sum of $35K, this private club was the center for many early community activities. On the lower floor was a men’s smoking room, billiard and pool room, bowling alleys and lockers. On the upper floors were a large assembly room, a reception room and a women’s shower. A fire started in the kitchen on New Years’ Eve of 1928 and the Club burned to the ground. It was re-built in 1931 and is still used as a private club today.
- Site of the Romaine Graveyard. This area is an old family graveyard, once a part of the Romaine Farm.
*Name of owner at time of publication.
See the Mountain Lakes Historical Walking Tour
Please proceed to the MCPRIMA to map the historic sites within the Borough.